Can we get a joint mortgage to help my son buy a property?

Posted on 30 September 2013 by Bernadette

Can we get a joint mortgage to help my son buy a property?

My son aged 32 is doing a PhD with 3 years left to finish. His grant is £13,000 pa. My husband and I are retired but have a substantial pension. How can we help him to find a joint mortgage of say £80,000 on a property of £100,000?


We can certainly look at a guarantor mortgage as an option, however that is dependent on your ages and incomes. In my experience lenders typically do not treat grants or bursaries as an acceptable income source.

It would be worthwhile putting you in contact with one of our consultants, who can look at your enquiry in more detail, and see how best we can assist you. If you'd like to do so, then please let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for one to contact you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.