Can we buy the house we live in from my brother-in-law?

Posted on 17 February 2013 by Keeley

We currently live in a home that is rented to us by my brother in law on a buy to let mortgage. He no longer wants the house, is there any way of him signing the house and mortgage over to us ?


What you are looking to do isn't quite as straight forward as your brother-in-law signing the house and mortgage over to you, however something similar could be done. You would actually buy the property from him for a 'concessional purchase price', that is to say that the price you pay him is the amount of the mortgage balance, rather than the full market value.

Subject to you meeting their standard criteria there are lenders in the market who are more than happy to lend on this type of transaction.

If you'd like to know more, then please let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for one of our consultants to speak to you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.