Can I stay in the house?

Posted on 22 September 2012 by Sandie

My partner has left me & 3 kids, can I stay in the house? Can I take over the mortgage with my parents as guarantors?


If you have not done so already you must talk to your mortgage lender.  Unless you advise them that your partner has left they will not be able to offer you any assistance in keeping you in the property.  In the short term this may be reducing or suspending the monthly payments and in the longer term getting the mortgage and property transferred to to your sole name.

Whether or not they will accept your parents as guarantors will depend on your parent's ages, their income and also your prospects for being able to afford the mortgage in the foreseeable future.  At the moment both of you are liable for the outstanding debt and they are unlikely to release your partner from their covenants if it means the mortgage is more likely to default.

I have passed your enquiry to our in house Solicitors, Rollingsons so that they can offer you legal advice to help you at this difficult time.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.