Can I sell my house to my ex-wife?

Posted on 18 February 2013 by Ronnie

Hi I have a mortgage solely in my name, and no longer live in this property My ex wife lives in the property and would like to take over the mortgage from me and have my name removed from the deeds. Is this possible?


What you are looking to do is fairly straight forward, whereby, your ex-wife would actually buy the property from you for a 'concessional purchase price', which  is to say that the price she would pay you is the amount of the mortgage balance, rather than the full market value.  The one thing that you didn’t mention is whether you are happy gifting her any equity that there is in the property?

Subject to your ex-wife meeting their standard criteria there are a number of lenders in the market who are more than happy to lend on this type of transaction.

If you'd like to know more, then please let me know and I'll arrange a convenient time for one of our consultants to speak to you.


More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.