Can I remortgage to my sole name?

Posted on 20 August 2012 by Peter

Hi I have a joint mortgage with my wife house approx 225k with a mortgage outstanding of 112k is there anyway I can remortgage for 35k just in my name so it is my debt?


This is certainly possible and the remortgage can be timed to complete at the same time as the transfer of the title. 

The new mortgage application would be made in your sole name and you would have a choice of either using your own solicitors to carry out the legal work for you or taking the lenders solicitors and asking them to carry out the transfer of title for you.  In the last instance you would have to pay for the additional legal work involved in the transfer even if there is a free legal service provided as part of the mortgage deal.  You may find it better to take a product which offers a cashback instead of the free legals.

However you proceed your wife, will have to agree to the transfer and sign the appropriate legal papers.

I believe we can help you and that you would benefit from speaking to one of our independent mortgage advisers.  Please call 0344 346 3672 and tell the consultant the date and title of your question, they will then be able to help you find the right mortgage for your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.