Can I release funds on a property owned by my mother ?

Posted on 2 November 2015 by Claire

My mum owns our family home outright however we need to release funds. Could I get a mortgage on the house if I am not the owner? My mum doesn't work so does not have a income.

Hi Claire

You can remortgage your family home and secure a mortgage with your income. However, this will mean you will be jointly liable for the mortgage. However, I cannot make further comment as  I would need to know  the reason for the release of funds and whether you live with your mum at present? 

I believe we can help you and that you would benefit from speaking to one of our independent mortgage advisers. Please call us on 0344 346 3672 or please enquire now a suitable time to get in touch via phone.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.