Can I reduce my payments and sell the property?

Posted on 18 August 2012 by tracey

My husaband left 2 years ago,the mortgage is in both our names,I have been paying the morgage myself for both them years,I now what to only pay half due to circumstance and want the house sold where would I stand to this.


You must first of all speak to your mortgage lender and tell them your current circumstances.  If you just start paying half the mortgage and your husband isn't paying his half, you will fall in to arrears and risk losing your home.  By talking to your lender they may allow you to make reduced payments until your house is sold.

You will need your husband's authority to sell the house and his signature will be required in due course.  There are legal options you can consider if he is unwilling to go ahead with a sale and I have forwarded your enquiry to our in house solicitors, Rollingson's to advise you on these.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.