Can I get any help paying my mortgage?

Posted on 20 September 2012 by roxanne

I have just split with my husband and we are getting a divorce, i have also just bought him out off my house. using a loan from the bank.

i would like to know if i would get any help off the government as i am on my own and finding it really hard to manage paying all the bills plus the mortgage on my own?


Depending on your income and level of savings you may qualify for Income Support.  The following information comes from the Direct.Gov.UK website:

Income Support is for people who all the following apply to:

•are between age 16 and the age they can get Pension Credit

•have a low income •work less than 16 hours a week, depending on the amount of your wage •aren't in full-time study (but there are some exceptions)

•don't get Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance

•don't have savings above £16,000 •live in Great Britain You may get Income Support if you are one of the following:

•a lone parent

•on parental or paternity leave

•a carer

You can check whether or not you qualify for this or any other benefits by using the Benefits Adviser on the Direct.Gov.UK website:


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.