Can I divorce my husband, while he's still living my house?

Posted on 28 November 2012 by Lesley

I want to divorce my husband whose behaviour is unreasonable but I cannot get him to leave my house. I pay the morgage and the house is in my name. He refuses to leave. Do I need to have him removed from the house before I can start divorce proceedings?


This is more of a legal question than a mortgage one, though my understanding is that you can commence proceedings with him still in the house. Although I would recommend that you speak to your solicitor  regarding this matter, to see if this is the best course of action. If you don't have on already then let me know, and I can put you intouch with one who can help you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.