Can an Ex-Pat get a mortgage on a UK property?

Posted on 30 October 2013 by Kish

A person lives abroad for working purpose but he is from the UK wanting to buy a property here in the UK. Can he apply for a mortgage here showing his foreign income? Thanks


There's no real reason why an ex-pat shouldn't be able to buy a property in the UK. There are however a few restrictions, as typically most lenders cap the loan-to-values lower than for UK residents buying a main residence. Also depending on where you're actually working, can affect which lenders would be available to you, along with whether you intend to rent to the property out or have close family living in it. Income does also come into the equation as some lenders prefer you to be employed with a multi-national company, while others will look at those who are self-employed.

If you'd like to get a better idea of what options are open to you, then please let me know and I'll arrange for you to speak to one of our consultants.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.