As a UK national living abroad, can I get a better rate on my property I'm renting out?

Posted on 20 May 2015 by Mick

Currently living in Sweden and have my old address rented out. The mortgage is effectively my old mortgage but at Santander's variable rate of 4.99%. Valuation in 2005 was £235,000 with an outstanding loan is £119,000 for another 17 years. Is there anyway i can get a more favourable mortgage fixed if possible living as i do outside the UK? I am a UK citizen in case that matters. Many Thanks, Mick.


There shouldn't be any reason why we can't look for a better rate than the one you are currently on with Santander. Although many of the major high street lenders don't look at Ex-Pats, quite a few of the smaller building societies will happily consider them.

We'd need to know the rest of your personal financial situation, rental income, etc... before can say 100% that we can help, but I think it would be worth discussing your options in more detail. If you'd like to do so, then you can call us on on 0344 346 3672 and one of our consultants will be able to assist you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.