Can I take my ex-husband off the mortgage if he's no longer paying towards it?

Posted on 3 March 2014 by Karen

Hi, just an enquiry to ask if I could remove my ex husbands name from our joint mortgage. He has paid this since our split and divorce seven years ago as maintenance for our son, who will be 18 soon and he has now said he will not be paying it anymore and I will be solely responsible. Can I remove his name for this reason so he has nothing else to do with the house and how much is this fee if there is one. Thank you.


Whilst your ex-husband remains on the mortgage, in the eyes of the lender he remains "jointly and severally responsible" for the mortgage. This means that from the lenders point of view, both borrowers are equally liable for the mortgage payment irrespective of any individual arrangements you may have, and any missed mortgage payments would damage both credit profiles equally badly.

As long as you meet your current lenders affordability requirements, then you should be able to apply for a 'Transfer of Equity' to have his name removed from the mortgage and the property transferred into your sole name. If you don't meet the criteria with your lender, then it may be that we can remortgage you to an alternative provider. With regard to fees you will normally have to pay for your solicitor to carry out the transfer, but the valuation of the property is usally free.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail then please contact one of our mortgage consultants on 0344 346 3672.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.