Remortgage to buy my partner's ex out of the mortgage?

Answered on 1 June 2018 by Nick Morrey

Can you remortgage to buy out an ex partner? I live with my partner and we would like to remortgage his house to buy his ex out and put my name on mortgage. There is enough equity along with my investment to pay what she is entitled to but she won't remove her name until he buys her out, which he can't do until remortgaged? 

Buying an ex partner out of a mortgage

The process of remortgaging to buy out an ex-partner and add someone else is called a "Transfer of Equity". This is where the remortgage process involves adding your name to the mortgage and deeds at the same time as taking your partners ex off, and paying her the agreed lump sum.

What should I do next?

There shouldn't be any issues as the transaction takes place simultaneously. Your partner's ex probably needs to speak to a solicitor to have this explained to her in more detail, as her current position means that neither party can move forward.

I think it would be worth exploring your options in a bit more detail, and you can do this by contacting one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a better idea of exactly how we can help.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.