Using a Foreign Property as Collateral

Answered on 9 February 2018

I own a property abroad (within EU) but am now a UK resident and own a property here. I would like to know if I can use my foreign property as collateral against my UK property when renegotiating my mortgage.

This will depend on where the property is and how much you want to borrow. You can get a rough estimate using our how much can I borrow calculator. If a lender has operations in both countries it may be possible to arrange a bespoke deal with a private bank. If on the other hand you are looking you are looking at the UK high street lenders then I don't think it will make any difference.

I believe you would benefit from speaking to one of our independent mortgage advisers. Please call on 0330 433 2927 and they will be able to look at your situation and take it from there.

Ask The Mortgage Experts answers are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them. We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.