Transfer of Title/Mortgage from Joint to Sole Name

Answered on 18 May 2018

A friend of mine has a joint mortgage with her son, but she no longer wants the property.  Her son is willing to take the whole mortgage, how do they go about doing this?

Your friend will have to get their mortgage lender's permission to do this. The lender will normally want a simple application form completed and then make an assessment of her son's income and expenditure to make sure the mortgage is affordable on his own.

The lenders normally charge a small fee for considering a 'transfer subject to mortgage' and your friend will also need to instruct solicitors to deal with the legal paperwork.

Ask The Mortgage Experts answers are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them. We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.