removing ex partner from mortgage and deeds

Answered on 7 December 2010 by Nick Morrey

I split with my ex girlfriend 3 years ago. We had a joint mortgage together and she asked me to take the mortgage on my own taking on arrears that we were in at the time. Now I am out of arrears and can quite easily make all the payments. The mortgage company have sent me a offer of loan to sign the house over to me which I have signed, all that is to do is for my ex to sign the forms from the solicitor but she is ignoring phone calls and letters. Is there anything I can do to get her off the mortgage and deeds as she has not paid a penny towards the mortgage or any other bill for the house for 3 years and I have worked hard to keep the house?

It may be possible to obtain a Court Order transferring the ownership of the property to your sole name. This would also enable your mortgage lender to change the name on the mortgage deeds. You need to speak to your solicitor about this and take their professional advice.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.