Posted on 19 January 2011 by mrs akhtar

My father and I are joint owners of my house, which I bought before I got married. My husband wants me to add him as joint owner and remove my father's name. I don't trust him and think he might sell or remortgage the house if I put him as joint owner. He has never contributed to the mortgage. Can I put him as joint owner with a condition that he can't sell the house?

Mrs Akhtar,

I regret that I am not qualified to give the legal advice you require.  I recommend that you speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and/or seek independent legal advice before taking any further action.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.