Transfer of Equity

Posted on 25 February 2011 by Geoff

I have split from my ex girlfriend for 9 years now. We bought a house together, as tenants in common and I put up the majority of the deposit.Things didn't work out and we decided to go our own ways. We arranged a transfer of equity through the mortgage lender and I paid her off. 9 years later, (recently) I checked the title deeds and I find that her name is still on them. How do I get her removed as I now want to sell? She has since married and does not hold the same name on the title deeds now either.


I recommend that you speak to your Solicitor and get him to request the Title Deeds from the Lender. The Lender will make an administration charge for this, but you would be charged that when the deeds were sent out prior to a sale anyway. Your Solicitor can then examine the deeds and check with the Land Registry to see if any change was made. It would be very unusual for the Lender to transfer the mortgage to your sole name without receiving confirmation that the Land Registry records had been updated.

Depending on the results of this your Solicitor will be able to advise you how to proceed and also whether or not it is worth pursuing a complaint against your Lender.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.