Can I add my wife to the mortgage?

Posted on 28 July 2018 by Krishna

Hi there, I would like to add my wife name in my mortgage. Could you please advise whether this is possible or not and also procedure. Many thanks, Krishna Kuwar

Hi Krishna,

What you are looking to do is called a "Transfer of Equity" and is where you remortgage your property from sole to joint names and at the sane time, your wife is added to the title deeds.

It's a relatively straight forward process, as long as you meet the lenders usual affordability and lending criteria. You will need also to check with the solicitor whether there is any stamp duty liability.

If you'd like to talk through the figures, and explore your options in more detail, If you'd like to discuss your options in more detail, then please contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you an idea of how we can help.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.