Transfering of Title

Posted on 18 January 2019 by Yzzy

I still have my ex partner on my mortgage and want to put my new partners name on my mortgage, is there an easy way to do this?

Hi Yzzy,

You need to start by talking to your ex partner about transferring the property from your joint names to you and your partner and agreeing the amount that they wants back.

You can then approach the Lender and they will either ask you to complete a Transfer Subject to Mortgage application or a new mortgage application. Either way the Lender will want to be sure that you and your new partner can afford to take over the mortgage and once they have agreed the process will lead to your Solicitors arranging for the title of the property to be amended.

If your existing Lender declines the application you will then need to consider a remortgage to a new Lender, but beware the free 'legals' packages offered will not cover the cost of amending the title and you may be better off using your own solicitors and looking at a cash back instead.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.