Consent to Let

Posted on 31 March 2010 by asia

I have a residential mortgage, but I want to let this out to a mum,who is a professional, and her child.  It would be let out through a rental agency who would also be managing the property.  I don't want to sell my house as I am moving back in with family due to family circumstances.  I have not missed any mortgage payments as yet. I was asked by the bank when requesting l/lord insurance 'did i get permission to let the house out?'  Replied no.  I want to keep the house for my children and move back in at some stage. Pleasea dvise what I should do.


You need to speak to your mortgage lender and ask them for Consent to Let. They will charge you an administration fee, typically around £75 and want a full explanation of why you wish to let the property. There is no guarantee that consent will be granted, the most common reason for this is mortgage arrears and so it is important that you ensure they are kept up to date.

If consent is given, your lender will have requirements regarding the type and length of tenancy you agree. This will probably be a 6 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy and your Managing Agent will be very familiar with these.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.