My ex is threatening to stop paying the mortgage

Answered on 22 December 2017 by Nick Morrey

My husband left me a year ago and he continued paying the mortgage fully as I am not able to afford it due to only having a part time job. My ex has split with his new partner and he is back at his Mum's, he wants me to take on the payments and is threatening to stop paying or sell. He is not bothered about any profit on the house, is there any help I can get i.e benefits or housing sell and rent back?

The first thing you must do is talk to your mortgage provider. Let them know what the situation is and they may be able to help you by reducing the payments to a level you can afford. You should also speak to one of the free debt counselling organisations such as Citizens Advice Bureau as they will be able to advise you on what if any benefits are available to you.

If your home was purchased in joint names and the mortgage is in joint names then your ex can not sell without your agreement. He is also still liable for the monthly payments even though he doesn't live there.

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.