Transfer of Equity after separation

Posted on 8 November 2018 by Georgina Boyle

My husband I are separated and wish to take our names off each other's houses. How do we go about this??

Hi Sydney,

This is a relatively straightforward process, called a "Transfer of Equity", which your solicitor can sort out and your existing lender will be able to process as long as you both meet their standard criteria to be able to afford to take the loans on in your individual names.

In most scenarios we see that the partner wants to buy the other out of their property – because you both own your own this is very straight forward.

If you wish to discuss your enquiry in more detail, then please let me know and I'll arrange for you to speak to one of our consultants.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.