Seek guidance from the Citizen's Advice Bureau

Posted on 10 February 2010 by Jacquie


After 8yrs of violence & abuse, I want my husband to move out and I want to start divorce proceedings. I have 2 children 17 & 12 (from my first marriage)and do not want to disrupt their education or lives. However, my name is not on the mortgage. I do not work and will have to claim benefits until I find a job. Can I stay in the house and if he insists on rent, will I be able to claim housing benefit or will he even be entitled to charge rent? Hope you can help? Thanks.

I regret that the questions you have posed are beyond the scope of my knowledge and experience.  I suggest that you speak to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau about your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.