My Ex has moved to Australia, can I get the flat changed to my sole name?

Posted on 1 December 2012 by Paul

My ex and I have a mortgage on an apartment and 2 years ago she moved out and I gave her £7,500 and transferred her car over to her but stupidly I didn't get the mortgage signed over and she now lives in Australia. I have tried contacting her but no response, what advice can you give me please?


You need to speak to a solicitor regarding this matter, as there are options for you to consider. Once you've taken legal advice, we would then be in a position to assist with the remortgage from joint to your sole name.

If you don't have a solicitor, then please let me know, and I can put one in touch with you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:

Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance

General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.