Legal and Tax Issues on Separation

Posted on 11 February 2011 by debbie

I bought a house with my partner 7 years ago and we split all the bills in half. My partner decided to move out because I cheated on her. She stopped paying the mortgage as well as all the house bills. It being tax time I found out that she claimed half the interest on her forms. What can I do? Can I sue her for half the morgage that she didn't pay?


I regret that as Mortgage brokers we are not qualified to give legal advice and I recommend that you speak to Citizens Advice or a local solicitor about your situation.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.