Joint mortgage with Ex Partner

Posted on 27 January 2011 by michael evans

My husband bought a house with an ex girlfriend as tenants in common 8 years ago. When they split he was still on mortgage.He has never contributed to it in this time and would like his name removed from it. His ex girlfriend cannot get a mortgage in her own name, so although she would like house in her own name she says there is nothing she can do. We would like to buy a home together but feel this is not possible as things stand. Is there anything he can do to remove his name?


I recommend that your husband takes independent legal advice about his situation. It may be possible to get a Court Order requiring his ex partner to make every effort to get his name removed, but this is no guarantee their mortgage Lender will agree.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.