I want to buy a larger property in my name only, is my partners income considered?

Posted on 11 June 2013 by Gwenllian

I want to buy a larger property in my name only, is my partners income considered?

Unfortunately, if your partner isn't going on the mortgage, then a lender won't take their income into account for the new application.

The only way that you could make use of their income, is to look at a guarantor, or a joint applicant / sole proprietor mortgage. It is more likely that the latter could be of more benefit to you. 'Joint applicant / sole proprietor' is where both you and your partner go on the mortgage application, but only yourself will be on the title deeds.

This way, you would own the property, but your partners income can be used, although he would then be "jointly & severally liable" for the mortgage payment.

If you'd like to find out more then let me know, & I'll arrange a convenient time for one of our consultants to get in count with you, to explain things further.




More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.