I purchased a property for cash & now need a mortgage to refurbish. Do I have to pay a solicitor for this?

Posted on 20 September 2014 by Sandy

Hi, I have purchased a property for cash from my previous sale. I now need to take out a small mortgage to complete the refurbishment. Will I have to engage and pay a solicitor for this? or are all the costs normally covered in the mortgage company's costs?


Most lenders only cover the standard costs of remortgaging, the cost of creating a new charge is usually down to the owner to cover. However to help with the cost, you can normally use the same solicitor the lender uses. Also there are some lenders who offer a small cashback option instead of the free legals.

If you'd like to talk through your enquiry in more detail, then you can contact one of our consultants on 0344 346 3672 and they'll be able to give you a better idea of how we can help you.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.