Ex Pat Cash Purchase

Posted on 27 March 2010 by Pete Pickett

My mother (ex pat) wants to buy a flat in the UK . She intends paying cash . Is this possible?  The flat would not be let, but would be used by her approx 3months per year.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


It is most certainly possible for your mother to buy a flat in the UK for cash with the intention of using it for 3 months of the year.

Among the things she will need to consider are:

Insurance cover for both the flat and it's contents bearing in mind it will be empty for 3/4 of the year.

Upkeep of the flat and the payment of maintenance and ground rent.

How to keep the property secure from unauthorised access?

Will there be any adverse or advantageous change to her tax status?

I recommend that your mother takes independent legal and tax advice before proceeding with the purchase.


Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.