Any reference to "John Charcol", "we", "us" and "our" is to John Charcol Limited, except where the relevant service is provided by another group company of John Charcol Limited, in which case these terms refer, in respect of those services, to that group company.
John Charcol along with its subsidiary companies believes in protecting the personal information that you provide us with. We are committed to complying with the following seven principles:
- What personal information we collect about you
- Who is collecting this personal information
- How the information we collect about you is used
- With whom might the information be shared
- What choices we provide you with regarding the collection, use and distribution of the information
- The kind of security procedures that are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of information under the control of John Charcol
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information
If you have any queries regarding this statement, you should first contact John Charcol by email. If you do not receive a reply within two working days, telephone us on 0344 436 3672.
We collect and process personal information from you at various stages throughout our website, for reasons including answering your enquiries, ensuring that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer, to notify you about changes to our websites (including services and products), providing you with quotations, and carrying out our obligations from any contracts entered into between you and us. We also collect and process details of your visits to our site and the resources that you access
At each stage, you will be able to see what information we ask from you, such as your name and contact details, and information relating to your specific enquiry. If you contact us other than via our website, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
John Charcol is made up of a number of companies who themselves are Data Controllers, all of whom collects information about you.
The information we collect about you is used solely for the purposes for which it was provided. We will only use it for additional purposes (such as marketing) if we have received your prior consent to do so.
It is entirely up to you as to whether or not you choose to provide us with any personal information. If you choose not to, we simply may not be able to assist you.
We will not sell your information to any third party, unless John Charcol or one of its Subsidiary Companies is sold itself.
When you enter personal details on our website, you will be entering these details within a secure environment.
We use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encrypted at 128bit to protect the details you send us. We use the BT Trustwise Secure Site Program.
In most web browsers, a padlock symbol appears at the bottom right, indicating when you are in a secure environment. Also, the 'http:' at the beginning of the website address changes to 'https:' with the 's' indicating that you are in a secure environment
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have the right, for a fee (up to £10), to ask us for a copy of the information we hold on you, and to have any inaccuracies corrected or removed.
To do this, please either contact us by email, telephone our Customer Relations Department on 0344 346 3672, or write to us at:
Customer Relations Department
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- If John Charcol Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions (as defined below) and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of John Charcol (or any of its subsidiary companies), our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction
Where we store your Personal Data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Do you share my information?
We may pass information about you to other parties as follows:
- to third parties authorised by us and acting on our behalf such as our employees, contractors, suppliers and/or agents (including, without limitation, our customer care teams and other John Charcol group companies) for the purposes of administration, income, credit and risk assessment, statistical research, marketing, product suitability, product sourcing and fraud prevention in respect of the products and/or services that you have requested;
- where we have your consent to do so, for marketing communications;
- as part of general statistical information about the customer base, sales patterns, traffic volumes and related matters. These details will not include information personally identifying you;
Occasionally we may perform anti-fraud, credit or security checks using your details and receive information about you from other sources (such as credit reference agencies) which we will be added to the personal information which we already hold about you in order to help us provide the products and/or services and assess credit, fraud or security risks.
We may also share your personal information with other business units and operations within the John Charcol group of companies. We share your personal information with other entities in the group to: (i) provide a more personalised experience across the different products and services that we offer; and (ii) to provide other services and products that you request or which might be of interest to you.
Please note this policy does not cover companies, services or applications that we do not own or control, or people that we do not employ or manage, including (without limitation) third party websites or applications (e.g. from “social media” platforms such as Facebook or Twitter) which we may link to or offer via our services. Also, it does not cover certain pages and services provided via our services which are hosted, managed and operated by other parties. These services, applications and third parties may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using any such services. These third parties and services are wholly independent of us and are solely responsible for all aspects of their relationship with you and any use you may make of such services.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive which records how you have used a website. This means that when you go back to that website, it can give you tailored options based on the information it has stored about your last visit
For information about how to disable cookies in your browser please visit the www.aboutcookies.org website.