Can my parents gift us some of their equity for a deposit?

Posted on 5 March 2013 by Reece

Be the first to comment

Hi, I still live with my parents. My girlfriend and I wish to move out next year. My parents have kindly suggested that they will help us out. Can they release equity from their home to enable my girlfriend and I to use that equity as a deposit on a mortgage? Thank you.


There shouldn't be any reason why your parents wouldn't be able to capital raise on their existing property to then gift you the funds to be used as a deposit for you to buy your first home.

However, you and your parents  may wish to look at protecting the deposit monies, via the use of one of the  increasing number of "Family Guarantor" schemes, whereby you still use the funds you have to lower the mortgage amount needed, but your parents still retain control of the monies. Basically instead of them gifiting you the deposit, the lender holds the monies and then releases them back to your parents at a future specified date. Some of these schemes also see your parents using their property as a means of guaranteeing your loan.

Alternatively although the mortgage would be a joint one between you and your girlfriend, the actual ownership of the property is set up under a 'Tenants in Common' arrangement, where each party's share of the property is specifically defined, unlike 'Joint Tenants' cases where any equity is a straight 50 / 50 split.

If you would like to have an initial discussion with one of our consultants, to look at the options in a bit more detial, then please let me know and I'll arrange a suitable time for your to speak to one of our consultants.



More than mortgages, talk to me about:
Financial Protection | Investments | Personal and Corporate Pensions | Home Insurance
General Insurance | Valuations | Conveyancing | Wills | Home finders



Speak to an adviser

Our UK home mortgage experts will help you make the right choice. If you're too busy, or just prefer the reassurance of a real person, call our mortgage expert now:

0344 346 3672

Or send us your details

we will help find the mortgage that's right for you...

Answers provided in response to Ask the experts are based on the information provided and do not constitute advice under the Financial Services & Markets Act. They reflect the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views, positions, strategies or opinions of John Charcol. All comments are made in good faith, and John Charcol will not accept liability for them.

We recommend you seek professional advice with regard to any of these topics where appropriate.


YOUR PROPERTY MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON A MORTGAGE OR ANY DEBT SECURED ON IT. John Charcol is a trading name of John Charcol Limited and its Appointed Representatives. John Charcol Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The Financial Services Register number is 665649. Registered in England No. 9157892. Registered office address for John Charcol Limited is 5th Floor, Cutlers Exchange, 123 Houndsditch, London, EC3A 7BU. The FCA does not regulate some investment mortgage contracts. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring.